Monday, October 22, 2007

A new kind of DJ...

I've already given my rant of the day, so how about a happy-thoughts chaser to follow it?

Being a DJ is a tricky thing, as you're no doubt aware.  Anyone who's ever tried it probably knows of the difficulty associated with perfecting a playlist.  BPM's need to be measured in order to sustain a constant beat throughout, and the songs chosen need to mix well together so as to take the audience on a musical journey.  After all, that's the fun of being a DJ--telling a story through music.  If your audience is able to take that adventure with you, a good time is had by all.

That said, I want go break the mold and say that there are other ways to perform.  I honestly believe in a new style of DJing, one that connects the DJ much more directly with his audience.  There are no physical tools required, and you don't need a keen ear.  All you need is the ability to "feel" your audience, to put yourself in their position and ask yourself what you would want to hear next.  

It's not as hard as it sounds, and is even easier with a fantastic crowd that provides plenty of positive feedback.  If I fall into that vibe, it's almost like making love to the crowd (and I mean that in a verrah figurative way, folks).  Both you and the crowd are in sync and letting the music carry you.  It's almost as though you're spiritually linked and let the take you wherever it might.   In a much more literal sense, you as the DJ can "feel" what should come next.  And when it does, your crowd responds in kind by going absolutely crazy; how did you know that was exactly what they wanted to hear???

I won't discredit the importance of the more technical aspects, but I won't dismiss a more free flowing, organic DJ style.  In fact, on a personal level I find my best shows are the ones where I throw caution to the wind and let the music carry me.  Although, the one caveat is that you can't get to that point without first establishing an audience.  Any DJ that expects to play whatever they want and get a positive response needs to stop dreaming.  It's a tough point to reach, but if you can set a pace and get an audience into your show,  you'll find they're much more open to letting you call the shots.  You in turn are guided by the music, and together everyone can have an awesome musical adventure.

At least, that's how I like to roll....

2 comments:

RavenRead said...

If it was me that you meant on the importance of BPM, for the record, I think they're important to be aware of but not the end all be all. Otherwise I couldn't ever DJ. I try to get through with intuition and feel. And I hope someday to have your skill in reading the crowd and making people want to kick back and have fun.

Rane said...

I think you were the one that taught me what BPM's were :-P lol And yeah, I agree they're important, but you're absolutely right there's so much more to it. Anybody can throw together a playlist with enough time, but to reeeeeeally connect with the audience takes a competent DJ, a great crowd, and a little bit of luck. q:)