Thursday, January 10, 2008

4 Months





Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ah the immortal words of Ferris Bueller.  Truer words were never spoken.  For my fellow Second Life residents, you probably know the importance of relaxing and enjoying yourself from time to time.  It's so easy to slip into the usual routine: log in, spend some Lindens, make some Lindens, explore, chat, and sign off.  It's always enjoyable, but can become so typical you almost forget what SL is all about.  

Last night reminded me.

Not only was it the four-month anniversary of my partnership to Moxie Grumby, it was also a night when I lived my Second Life to the fullest.  Moxie and I started the evening with a little car shopping (she's such a good sport).  We visited several of my favorite shops, including Midnight Drift, where we ultimately purchased a nice Nissan Skyline GT-R (albeit under a different name in-world).  Sticking with routine, we could have just left it there--but instead, we headed back to RavKom.  There, we commandeered the streets and had an impromptu race.  If you weren't there, don't feel bad; this wasn't a scheduled event or other such obligation.  This was for the people in that area, at that time.  This was spontaneous.

Our cars lined up, side by side.  '69 Camaro VS Nissan Skyline.  We revved loud, and were greeted by our good friend tinker Hax.  After asking for the roads to be cleared, some watched as we got ready to race.  tinker dropped her arms, and the race was on!  The first time I got lucky--the second and third, well, Moxie dominated me.  I will get my rematch!

Sure, innocent avatars could have been run over, but that's the beauty of Second Life.  You can live out your wildest dreams without any of the consequences of real life.  You can be that person you wish you could be...that wild, free, untamed spirit that lurks just beneath the surface.  

The rest of the evening was spent driving around an icey track, with Moxie behind the wheel of her new car.  I have to say (and please bear with me as we enter some cheesy territory here) Second Life has never felt more real.  Sure it's a virtual world, but I was there.  We were there.  I remember that race, I remember that drive, I remember it all.  Get a life?  I have one.  A very good one actually.  But with Second Life, it just gets better.  

So to everyone in Second Life (and first for that matter), please remember to enjoy it all.  I know we all have our self-assigned roles: DJ, Manager, Host...but don't forget the amazing possibilities all around you.  When you lose sight of that, you lose the beauty that is Second Life.

Happy 4 Months, Moxie.


1 comment:

RavenRead said...

Some of the best advice my dad gave to me was "Be where you are". It's clear that you already live by that advice, and I am very glad to be a part of that.